Thursday, June 11, 2009

Do you know why I pulled you over?

Well, the so-called marketing experts say that a business owner should share who they are, stories about their life. I have tried to do that. I get ideas for newsletter topics at various times and places. Recently I pulled over with red flashing lights behind me and I thought of something to say. It actually is related to estate planning, but you will have to wait until the end for that.


CONFESSIONS

First, some confessions about me.

  1. My mom says I have a "heavy foot". Actually, there are others who say that too.
  2. There have been time periods in my life where I was happy to only get one speeding ticket a year.
  3. I have been asked in court, "Mr. Edwards, what's your client's name?" And I answer "I'm here for myself, Your Honor."
  4. I once was pulled over twice in the same day. Years ago (about '97?) I went to Champaign for a friend's daughter's 1st birthday party. On the way back, it was late and I was tired. Got pulled over on I-72 about 10 miles from Springfield, but the officer was nice and just gave me a warning. So I drove into Springfield. A few minutes later, guess what? I pulled over just east of downtown (thinking "you have got to be kidding!"), but the officer didn't get out. Instead, he waited for a couple other cars to come and they pulled at various angles around me (just like in the movies). See, it wasn't a great part of town and I was driving an old car with some dents in it. Of course I got a ticket.
  5. I got two tickets just a couple weeks apart at the same location by the same officer. Yep. In my defense, one of the times I was driving back from Stout & Lauer Jewelers picking up Michelle's engagement ring.
  6. Most of my tickets resulted in court supervision. I'm glad that attorneys get to go to the head of the line in traffic court and have their case heard first. (I shouldn't give away our secret).

ESTATE PLANNING AND SPEEDING TICKETS?

OK, I know you are thinking - get on with the estate planning discussion. Well, most of my tickets (but not all) have been when I was driving at a time and/or place where I normally wasn't. As long as I stay in my normal traffic patterns, then I (usually) know when to slow down and when and where I might get pulled over. But when I am somewhere different, I don't know what to expect. Now if I had a guide with me who could give me warnings or remind me to slow down, that is always a help. (Sometimes these guides are called a "wife.")

The last time I was pulled over (and had this newsletter idea), I was in Riverton in the middle of a weekday, which is a place and time that I rarely am. Anyway, the officer only gave me a written warning. (If you're curious, I was out to Riverton to meet with Midwest Family Broadcasting about possibly doing some radio ads for our KidSafe Legal Plan.)

GOING INTO UNKNOWN TERRITORY

Estate planning is going into unknown territory for you and your family. I mean, when you actually need the plan it will be unknown territory. When you die or face a disability, you need someone to walk through it with you and your family. I have walked with many families in those difficult situations. With proper planning, we can make the situation less stressful, less expensive, more effective. Not just proper legal documents, but also a guide (that's me) to walk along with the family. A guide who knows you, your wishes, and your loved ones. That's the way to have a plan that works. And avoid the flashing lights of family and financial messes that I see far too often.

FINAL DRIVING ADVICE

One last bit of advice. After several years of no tickets at all, last year I managed to get 3 tickets within a span of less than 6 months. (and yes, with all 3 of them, I was in a place and/or time where I normally wasn't). Thanks to the magic of court supervision, I kept my license. But I invented a tool to help keep me from speeding. Do you want to know what it was?

A post-it note next to my speedometer that said "Slow Down!" It does work. Try it.

No comments:

Post a Comment