Saturday, July 11, 2009

Libraries - the real ones and the ones in our mind

I have been thinking about how specific places help us remember stories and times from our past. I'm talking about specific geographic places on the earth. Just by returning there, memories flood back, many more and in more detail than you would have without going to that place. The detail is much more vivid. Something about the sights, sounds, even the smells. Do you remember how your grandparent's house smelled? What about the school or church you went to as a kid? Maybe you don't remember what it smells like now, but if you smelled it again, would you recognize it?

Today I had one of those experiences. And it wasn't even a place I had ever been as a kid. But it was a place that was similar to places I went years ago. This morning Bailey and I went to the library. The west branch of the Lincoln Library on Washington Street in Springfield, Illinois. Just being there bought back memories of going to the library as a kid in Taylorville, Illinois.

The Taylorville library was an old building, built with money from Carnegie (according to Wikipedia, $14,000 grant in 1903). The Taylorville library has a much newer building now, but I found nothing on their web site about the library's history.


Some of my thoughts and memories:

1. When I was in grade school in Taylorville, Illinois, I went to Memorial School. The school was a few blocks from the old city library, just off the Taylorville square. I used to walk to the library sometimes after school. The basement was the children's area. The children's librarian was a baseball fan (of the Royals if I remember right) and sometimes she would have the radio on to a Cardinals or Cubs game if it was a late game still going after school.

2. I remember being in a reading contest one summer where you got various stickers or something that were all related to knights and serfs.

3. I remember the library card that was just a little retangular card with a paper sleeve to keep it in. No bar codes or fancy plastic cards, just a handwritten name and library number on a pre-printed card.

4. Today some of the books I looked at still had those little pouches in front of the books for the due date card (which of course they don't use anymore).

5. I remember the library being such a peaceful place (both now and when I was a kid). Where things are quiet (or supposed to be - Bailey was talking another kid's ear off today in the kids' section!). Where people are not in a rush, but they are browsing around looking for the right book. No rushing in and rushing out like we do in most of our lives. And no self service here. Even now with the bar codes, you have to go to the librarian who scans them in and reminds you when they're due.

6. Over the years, I have gotten in the habit of buying books instead of going to the library. Some books I like to write in and highlight. Other books I just want to have around. I like books. But I was reminded today that I also like libraries.

7. What's to become of libraries? In Springfield, the city budget is in shambles (a lot like our state budget and our stimulus packaged federal budget). And one of the places to cut is the library budget. Unfortunately, I am one of the reasons the city budget is in such dire straights. Today when I went to check out books, I found out that my library card had an overdue fine of 60 cents owing since 1999. I paid it (after I dug some change out of my car, didn't have any other cash on me!)

Michelle has been taking Bailey to the library regularly, both in Springfield and Chatham. I like that. I want her to grow up with great memories of libraries and all the books and things to learn and the peace and quiet there.

What are your memories of going to the library?

1 comment:

  1. David,
    I remember the same library! I remember my big sister (Veronica) walking us down to the library during the summer. I remember the huge card catalogs with the long, narrow drawers that slid open noiselessly. I remember browsing the kids section in the basement, but always wanting to check out one of the books from upstairs! I remember walking through the door to the kids section, straight across the room to a long, low bookcase filled with Hardy Boys books, and Alfred Hitchcock's The Young Investigators. I don't remember the librarian as a baseball fan, but more as "the person that kept me from checking out books from upstairs."

    I remember later regularly visiting the library near our home in St. Louis with my Dad. I still have the same love for books, and still tried to read more than him each year!

    ReplyDelete