Sunday, March 1, 2009

Every blog needs a first post

I was listening to Seth Godin being interviewed on a Duct Tape Marketing podcast this weekend. And he said everyone should have a blog. He said doesn't even matter if anyone reads it. Just the act of trying to write something coherent every day is an exercise of personal growth. So I guess that means it's time for me to do a first post. A story from my life. Here's the story.

I don't meet with clients in my personal office, but in one of our conference rooms. So instead of the client chairs some attorneys have in their office, I decided to get a leather chair and ottoman so I can sit, relax, and think deep thoughts. I had 2 open houses scheduled for our new firm, one for financial advisors on Feb. 12 and another general open house Feb. 17. So I thought - let's get the chair before the open houses. So my wife, Michelle, and I went to a local furniture store with my brother Jay's borrowed mini-van (with seats out). Ready to buy a chair and take it back to my office that day.

Well, found a chair we liked and bought it. But they don't keep inventory so it was to be 7-10 business days. Disappointment #1. So, time passes. Both open houses come and go. More than 10 business days pass, probably about 15 business days. They're late. Disappointment #2. Then, the call comes. "Your order is in, all of the pieces, ready to be picked up". Great!

So, Friday past I borrowed a pick up truck from my friend Julie and went to pick up the chair. I could already see myself sinking into it. Planned to go to Lowe's to get a floor lamp to go with it. Get to furniture store. No one is around, like a ghost town. I wonder into the back warehouse area. Someone helps me, they look it up on the computer. "yes, I see your ottoman is in, but your chair is not here yet". ok, another disappointment. strike three.

So I go back into main store and find the missing salesperson. Asked them to check again. Is the chair really here, or was the phone call a mistake? Checked computer again, yes the phone call was a mistake. We're so sorry.

This is where I had just had had enough. "I think I would just like to have my money back. Forget the whole thing." And they did it, credited my credit card right there.

what happened here?
1. I liked the chair, was fine with the price, etc.
2. As I sit here typing this, I still want a chair, still a blank spot in my office for a chair. I wish I had a chair right this second, in fact.
3. despite #1 and #2, i had reached my limit and pulled the plug on the whole thing.

Kind of like noise-cancelling headphones - poor delivery, failed promises, and missed expectations can blow up a sale, despite all the "real" stuff being right on the money. so, does anyone have a leather chair they want to sell me?

1 comment:

  1. That looks great! Spacify offers wide range of Executive Office Chair in a modern style to decorate your office.

    ReplyDelete