Wednesday, May 27, 2009

law office tech - secret, inside look at Edwards Group LLC

I don't think of myself as a true techie. But I do like to use technology to help me serve clients better. I thought some people may be interested in hearing about some of the technology we use at the law firm. I was surprised at how long the list was, once I started writing them down.


1. Lexis Nexis Total Practice Advantage (Time Matters) - software used to track all clients - notes, emails, documents scanned, calendar entries, to do lists, delegated items. For instance, if I get an email with 5 attachments from a clients, I can just do a few clicks and it automatically saves the email as well as the 5 attachments under the client's record, for later access. I can sort documents based on whatever criteria I want.

2. online legal research by monthly subscription - Illinois Institute for Continuing Legal Education, Lexis (caselaw, statutes, other stuff), Trusts & Estates Magazine. Can research as much as I want for a flat fee per month.

3. PC Law (this is part of Practice Advantage and connects to Time Matters) - billing software. I can pull up a little desktop widget to track my time. I rarely bill by the hour, but when I do, I just click a timer on my desktop to start, and then clock stop (or click pause and start it again after a phone call or bathroom break). Then type in the description into the widget, then click done and it is saved in the billing system for later review and sending to the client.

4. Infusionsoft - automated follow up marketing software. Used to send requests, automatic follow ups, event sign ups, newsletters with subscription changes, web forms for sign ups for free info or newsletter. Can even use it to generate letters, tasks within the office (to call someone or send out an info packet). Basically, allows us to automate a lot of our marketing process and our client process. When I need a web form for someone to sign up for something online, I set it up, click a button and it gives me the html computer code needed to plug into the web site.

5. copytalk - for a flat fee per month, I call a certain phone number and dictate notes about office or client issues. Then get an email of the transcript of my call within half a day or so. Can dictate up to 4 minutes at a time, and 4 of those per phone call (with 2 hits of the # button I start a new dictation). No need for staff to spend time typing out my dictations anymore.

6. jott.com - used for quick reminders to myself. Limit is about 25 seconds per call, but transcript of call will be emailed to me within usually 5 minutes or less. Great way to make myself a note when riding in the car. Can also use it to add calendar or to do items to outlook, although I have not used it much that way.

7. Alchemy - software to search text on pdf documents. We scan in documents and then we can search the database for any text on those documents. Great to use for scanning in bills or office info that we may not need too often, but we can find it when we do need it.

8. basecamp - online project management software. Use this to track and organized office development issues, such as marketing, office procedures, email marketing follow up, newsletter prep. I use it most often to coordinate with our writer/editor (who helps with newsletters and various educational pieces), infusionsoft email coordinator, and graphic artist.

9. High speed scanner - we scan every piece of client info that comes into our office. Improves security, easy to access and organize. Then we organize the documents either through Time Matters (tagged to a contact record or client matter) or else can search for it using Alchemy.

10. copier. Often print drafts 2-4 pages per side, double-sided to save paper and ink. Can also 3 hole punch, staple, print in color, etc.

11. 2 monitors on each desk. How did I live without this? For the past several years, I have used 2 monitors. One is my laptop monitor, but then I also have another 22 inch monitor that sits next to my laptop. I use both monitors as an extended desktop. All of my staff also has 2 monitors on their desk.

12. ipod - has been a key piece of my career development. Listen to podcasts on business, marketing. plus music too of course. And lots of sermons and spiritual stuff to keep my priorities straight.

13. digital recorder. Use to record client interviews for legacy purposes. Pretty good sound quality for less than $50.

14. panaboard. White board on the wall of my small conference room. 4.5 feet by 3.5 feet. Has 4 screens that scroll. Any of the screens can be printed on plain paper with a built-in printer. This is the most impacting piece of technology in my work with clients. We draw pictures of a plan and use that as a guide to draft documents and have further discussions. (After we print them out, we scan them into our client record.)

15. pacer and other court online access options. I don't do much court stuff anymore. (I try to keep my clients out of court). But if I do need access, it's great to pull up a docket sheet or download court documents in those courts that have this.

16. my fax. who needs a fax machine? for $10 month I have an 800 fax number. If you fax me, it shows up in an email with a pdf attachment. Which is then saved and tagged to the client matter. No need to print it out in most cases.

17. logmein.com. Used by me and all my staff for secure, remote access to our office computers when we need or want to work from home. Also used by our tech people, Illini Tech Services, to log in remotely and fix messes we have created in our computers. (which is happening less and less, thankfully!)

18. gotomeeting.com. For remote meetings where I need someone else to see my computer screen. Great for coordinating marketing, or infusionsoft email sequences or training on updating the web site or blog. Sometimes used just so we can all look at the same word processor draft or excel spreadsheet. I just send people a link to click. They click and log in and then they see whatever is on my computer screen. I can give someone else control of my screen or they can give me controls of theirs, as we all sit in different places, different towns or even states.

19. freeconferencecall.com. Doesn't cost a thing and can coordinate conference calls with a pre-arranged call in number. Can record those calls for free too. But there are limits to the service. Can only have 96 callers on one call and each call can only last 6 hours.

20. ProSuites from the National Network of Estate Planning Attorneys. We use this software with HotDocs to create customized legal documents and create documents for transferring assets. With a few pushes of a button, we can print out a life insurance or IRA beneficiary form using the company's own forms and populate them with the client's info that was already put into our system. Without this software, it would be much more difficult to help clients coordinate all of their asset titling with the plans we create.

21. Hotdocs (see ProSuites)

22. Microsoft Office - word, excel, powerpoint, etc. I know, this isn't very exciting, but it's still a key thing we use every hour of every day.

23. blogs I read. (does this count as technology?) I learn so much from blogs by Seth Godin, Duct Tape Marketing, Chris Brogan, Scott Ginsberg (the name tag guy).

24. computer server back up. Our server has 2 mirrored hard drive thingys. And then we have 3 external hard drives that serve as back-ups. We swap them out each day and each week I trade out the one I keep at home.

25. secure wi-fi. When I host a webinar in the community room, I don't even need a power chord or a network cable. Just take my laptop in there and hook up the chord to the projector.

26. phone headsets. I love these since I talk with my hands (even on the phone). One for my desk phone and also a blue tooth for the cell phone.

27. Palm Treo. Never out of touch with email. Not always a good thing, just ask my wife.

28. Senseo coffee maker. I don't drink coffee and neither does Lynn, our Client Coordinator. So when someone wants coffee, it's good to have a 1 cup at a time coffee maker.

29. Facebook. I have fun with this, but I also have regular contact with referral sources, advertising vendors, and clients. Yes, I have been hired by clients via facebook message.

30. Twitter. Twitter searches are interesting. I search topics related to estate planning and see what people are saying. Or I search "Kris Allen" to catch up on American Idol vibes. I recently started using Tweetdeck which makes twitter much easier to use. I also get a kick out of posting photos via twitpic.

31. HD video projector. Mounted in our Community Room with a great sound system. Ok, you caught me here. I didn't HAVE to have that. But I wanted it to watch movies. And I can tell you that "Elmo in Grouchland" sounds and looks great on the big screen.





-David Otis Edwards, Edwards Group LLC, Springfield, Illinois





No comments:

Post a Comment